The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Public Health Grand Rounds is hosting an encore presentation of “Public Health Approaches to Reducing U.S. Infant Mortality” on July 15 from 1pm-2pm.
The broadcast will only be available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cdcgrandrounds.
The sessions looks at the public health approaches to reducing infant mortality, a sentinel indicator of health. The United States has consistently had a higher infant mortality rate than many other developed countries. Speakers include:
- Captain Wanda Barfield, MD, MPH, FAAP, Director, Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC. “Infant Mortality in the US: Where We Stand”
- Denise D’Angelo, MPH, Health Scientist, Division of Reproductive Health, Applied Sciences Branch, CDC, “PRAMS: Using Data to Reduce Infant Deaths”
- Rachel Moon, MD, FAAP, American Academy of Pediatrics, “Reducing the Risks of SIDS: From “Back to Sleep” to “Safe to Sleep”
- Michael C. Lu, MD, MS, MPH, Associate Administrator, Maternal and Child Health, Health Resources and Services Administration, “Toward a National Strategy on Infant Mortality”
There will also be a new “Beyond the Data” segment featuring Dr. John Iskander and Dr. Wanda Barfield, as they discuss some important updates since the session originally aired.
- When: June 19, 2014
- Location: Early Learning Coalition, 8301 Cypress Plaza Dr., Suite 201, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Time: 9 am
In honor of Father’s Day, E3 Business Group’s North Florida Chapter is holding a celebration of fathers as part of the national Fatherhood Buzz initiative. The event is June 14 from 10am to noon.
The celebration will include a march from the E3 Center for Entrepreneur Development to Hemming Plaza, “Men of Motivation” speakers, a word from Mayor Alvin Brown and more. Coalition Fatherhood Coordinator Jack Johnson will be one of the featured speakers at the event.
Barbershops, salons, fraternities, churches and “man caves” are encouraged to participate. RSVP to email@example.com.
The 6th Annual Man Up 2014: Health Summit will feature a free screening on the documentary, “Spit’in Anger“, which looks at the impact of a father’s absence on young black males. Documentary creator Kenneth Braswell will be in attendance to talk to the audience about the film.
- When: Friday June 27th. Reception starts at 6 pm, the viewing begins at 7 pm
- Where: FSCJ Downtown Campus Auditorium A1068, 101 W. State St., Jacksonville, FL 32202
Register for the event here.
Fathers play an important role in a family. Unmarried mothers are less likely to obtain prenatal care & more likely to have a low birthweight baby. Studies show that children with early father involvement are more likely to be and stay healthy. The Healthy Start Coalition conducts responsible fatherhood and new dad classes throughout the community.
The Coalition has partnered with Braswell to bring his documentary to Northeast Florida. Braswell is the executive director of Fathers Incorporated, a national organization that focuses on developing support services for fathers.
The Health Summit for men and boys will take place at the FSCJ Advanced Technology Center all day Saturday, June 28th. This event will feature Former NBA Star Dominique Wilkins and a cooking demonstration brought to you by Novo Nordisk, in addition to free health screenings, haircuts, health and wellness workshops and more. The event is organized by the Healthy Jacksonville Men’s Health Coalition.
When: Thursday, May 15, 2014
- Location: Coalition Conference Room, 644 Cesery Blvd. Ste. 210, Jacksonville, FL
- Time: 9 am