- When: June 19, 2014
- Location: Early Learning Coalition, 8301 Cypress Plaza Dr., Suite 201, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Time: 9 am
The celebration will include a march from the E3 Center for Entrepreneur Development to Hemming Plaza, “Men of Motivation” speakers, a word from Mayor Alvin Brown and more. Coalition Fatherhood Coordinator Jack Johnson will be one of the featured speakers at the event.
Barbershops, salons, fraternities, churches and “man caves” are encouraged to participate. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 6th Annual Man Up 2014: Health Summit will feature a free screening on the documentary, “Spit’in Anger“, which looks at the impact of a father’s absence on young black males. Documentary creator Kenneth Braswell will be in attendance to talk to the audience about the film.
- When: Friday June 27th. Reception starts at 6 pm, the viewing begins at 7 pm
- Where: FSCJ Downtown Campus Auditorium A1068, 101 W. State St., Jacksonville, FL 32202
Fathers play an important role in a family. Unmarried mothers are less likely to obtain prenatal care & more likely to have a low birthweight baby. Studies show that children with early father involvement are more likely to be and stay healthy. The Healthy Start Coalition conducts responsible fatherhood and new dad classes throughout the community.
The Coalition has partnered with Braswell to bring his documentary to Northeast Florida. Braswell is the executive director of Fathers Incorporated, a national organization that focuses on developing support services for fathers.
The Health Summit for men and boys will take place at the FSCJ Advanced Technology Center all day Saturday, June 28th. This event will feature Former NBA Star Dominique Wilkins and a cooking demonstration brought to you by Novo Nordisk, in addition to free health screenings, haircuts, health and wellness workshops and more. The event is organized by the Healthy Jacksonville Men’s Health Coalition.
When: Thursday, May 15, 2014
- Location: Coalition Conference Room, 644 Cesery Blvd. Ste. 210, Jacksonville, FL
- Time: 9 am
- Monday, May 12, 2014: Community and Project Participants’ Appreciation Day. Includes hot dogs, project information and games in the Magnolia/Pearl Plaza parking lot. 11am-2pm
- Tuesday, May 13, 2014: Healthy Eating — Provide nutritional facts and information and serve a variety of healthy salads and snacks at Magnolia from 11:30am-2pm.
- Wednesday, May 14, 2014: Mental Wellness and Beauty — Demonstration of various stress reduction activities and creating a beautiful you. 9am-3pm.
- Thursday, May 15, 2014: Open House and Health Screenings — Providing a variety of health screenings at Magnolia from 8:30am-4pm.
- Thursday, May 15, 2014: Open House: Elected Officials and Board/Coalition Members are invited to enjoy lunch, a project overview, health screening opportunities and site tour from 11am-2pm.
- Friday, May 16, 2014: Let’s Move It — Zumba, exercise, line dancing and walk at Magnolia and the walking path next to project site. 9am–3pm