The national focus on health will shift to men for the month of June, as National Men’s Health Month aims to encourage boys and men to get regular checkups and live healthy lifestyles. The week leading up to Father’s Day, June 11 – 17, is celebrated as National Men’s Health Week. This year’s theme is “Men’s Health is a Family Affair.”
Read our blog post on how men can be healthy and check out the many events and opportunities to get involved in Men’s Health Month:
- The Florida Department of Health is hosting a webinar on men’s health from Dr. Joseph Webster, Physician, Clinical Researcher, Minority Health Expert, and CEO of Webster Surgical Center, LLC in Tallahassee, Florida. The June 12 presentation will focus on: “Public constraints and private choices produce health disparities in black and Hispanic minority males.” The webinar is from 3-4:30 pm. The login and call in information for the Men’s Health Month presentation is available here; the call in number is (866) 233-5216; conference code 8964057024. The local viewing of this presentation will be held at the Southwood Capitol Circle Office Complex (CCOC), 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Room 301, Tallahassee, FL 32311.
- The Baker County Health Department and Baker County Farmers Market are holding Men’s Health Month Health Screenings June 2 and 13 at the Farmers Market on West Macclenny Ave. (Hwy 90 West), Macclenny, FL from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Screenings include: blood pressure checks, Body Mass Index, Blood Glucose, Body Fat Composition and weight.
- On June 9, the Healthy Jacksonville Men’s Health Coalition will hold the “Man Up For Health Summit for Boys & Men” at Florida State College at Jacksonville, Downtown Campus from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. The event will include health screenings (hearing, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar & prostate cancer) and workshops (Sexting & Texting, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Knowing your Numbers, Restoring your Rights, etc.). The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Jocelyn Turner at (904) 253-2037.
- The Man Up Motorcycle Ride for Health will be held June 9 to help raise funds for the Man Up for Health Summit for Men and Boys. The ride will start at 9 am at the Florida State College at Jacksonville, Advanced Technology Center, 401 W. State St., Jacksonville, FL 32202. Donate $10 to ride. For more information, contact Donovan Trimble at (904) 861-5772.
- Thursday, June 14, 2012 has been designated as “Go Blue for Men Health Day.” Men, their families and anyone concerned about men’s health should wear blue in recognition of Men’s Health Month and National Men’s Health Week.
- Send the man in your life a health eCard from the CDC.
- Participate in the CDC’s Father’s Day Facebook chat to discuss the special role dads have in encouraging child development and ensuring safe environments for play and learning. On Tuesday, June 12, at 3 pm, share tips, ask questions and learn more about making the most of your child’s toddler. Visit the Facebook Event page for more information.