Quit Smoking Now
Are you a Healthy Start client? Do you smoke? Does someone in your family smoke? Healthy Start participants can now access an evidence-based smoking cessation program. The program is offered by Northeast Florida AHEC. It is a six-week program that provides you with the support, guidance and resources to help you quit.
The program was designed by an ex-smoker and is led by a trained facilitator, who will guide you through the many issues related to quitting smoking, including:
- Coping with anger, sleep problems and cravings, which are common for those who quit smoking
- Managing stress
- How physical activity and healthy food choices can make quitting smoking easier
- How to prevent relapse (taking up smoking again)
- What to do when you have friends and family who smoke around you
- Identifying and controlling your smoking/tobacco “triggers”
This program addresses a priority identified in the 2009-2014 Healthy Start Service Delivery Plan. Smoking during pregnancy is linked to low birth weight and other poor birth outcomes. Babies who are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke are at an increased risk for a sleep-related death and developing diseases like asthma. Women in Northeast Florida smoke at higher rates during pregnancy than women statewide.
Visit the Quit Smoking Now — First Coast Web site for more information or to sign up for classes. Any person living in Florida who smokes can also call the QuitLine: 1.877.U.CAN.NOW.