Did you know that in 2010, emergency rooms across the country treated an estimated 181,500 children for toy-related injuries? Almost half of the children treated were under the age of four. This holiday season, lets keep our children safe by practicing the following holiday toy safety tips from Safe Kids Worldwide.
Toy Safety Tips:
- Before purchasing, check the label and read the instructions to make sure the toy is age-appropriate for your child.
- Avoid toys that have small parts or other potential choking hazards.
- Games containing small pieces may be appropriate for older children, but can be a possible danger for younger children. When the game is being played or out in the open, be sure to keep an eye on the smaller pieces and younger children.
- Store toys in a bin or container when they are not being used.
- Make sure to include a helmet with toys that are ridden, such as bikes, skateboards and scooters.
For more toy safety tips visit the Safe Kids Worldwide website.