Please email Jennifer Larramore at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information about this internship position. This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
Fall 2017 Internship Position Description
Intern Program Assignment: The Magnolia Project and Magnolia Oasis; The Magnolia Project is a special federally-funded Healthy Start initiative to improve the health and well-being of women during their childbearing years (15–44 years old) in Health Zone 1. Its mission is to improve the health and well-being of women during their childbearing years by empowering communities to address medical, behavioral, and cultural and social service needs. Magnolia Oasis is an expansion of the Magnolia Project, in partnership with Agape Community Health Services FQHC network, which provides primary care health services.
Intern School: any, pending affiliation agreement with school
Intern Major: preferred community health, health education, public health, nutrition, dietetics, education, social work, etc.
Pre-internship period: August / September 2017 (exact dates will be determined with selected intern)
Internship period: October to December 2017 (exact dates will be determined with selected intern)
Hours: Intern hours are based on school requirements and availability. Typically, this project requires approximately 15-20 hours per week during business hours (8am to 5pm) with preferred availability on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Internship Preceptor: Jennifer Larramore, Director of Federal Programs; Intern will meet weekly with preceptor.
Other Staff Support: This position works closely with other staff, in addition to the preceptor, as the preceptor is not located on site. Intern will collaborate with the Magnolia Project and Magnolia Oasis Team Lead and other staff regularly for feedback and guidance. Intern may collaborate with other interns or volunteers to complete projects and will have opportunities to collaborate with nursing students and resident physicians.
Training Support: Interns are encouraged to attend Coalition, Board, staff and team meetings, as well as community trainings. Additional webinars and training opportunities will be shared with intern throughout the internship period.
Position Description: Intern will work on the following project assignments during internship:
- Juice Bar Waiting Room Demonstrations
- Design innovative juice bar demonstrations, creating and sharing recipes to Magnolia Oasis women to increase their knowledge of nutrition, as well as to promote and recruit women to the nutrition education group sessions.
- Perform all shopping needs and food prep requirements for juice bar demonstrations.
- Facilitate juice bar demonstrations in waiting room of clinic.
- Evaluate effectiveness of Juice Bar demonstrations.
- Nutrition Education Group Sessions
- Conduct needs assessment with staff and Magnolia women to assess nutritional health topics needed and / or desired.
- Develop weekly nutrition education group sessions that address the results of the needs assessment to increase knowledge and to promote healthy behaviors.
- Facilitate weekly nutrition education group sessions to Magnolia women.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of each nutrition education session by creating pre and post test surveys.
- Outreach and Marketing
- Create marketing materials, such as flyers and postcards, to recruit women to attend the nutrition education group sessions.
- Perform outreach in the community and through nearby businesses in the plaza to recruit women to attend the nutrition education group sessions and juice bar demonstrations.
- Perform internal outreach in collaboration with Magnolia providers to call and remind women that have been referred to the nutrition and juice bar program by their provider.
- Represent the Magnolia Project and Magnolia Oasis at community events or health fairs to promote the programs and recruit women to obtain services.
- Record data to support all program activities within internship period, including but not limited to juice bar and nutrition session sign in sheets, pre and post test surveys, outreach reports, etc.
- Promotional Project Summary
- Create a blog that summarizes the intern experience for Coalition communications department that includes pictures and a description of the projects completed in a manner that highlights the program; will also include a Facebook and Instagram post.
All intern applicants must complete and submit a volunteer application packet, their resume and their college transcripts to apply for this internship opportunity. Once approved, an interview will be held to assess fit for the position. Once selected, the intern must pass a fingerprint background screening to finalize internship assignment. Please email Jennifer Larramore at email@example.com to express interest in this internship opportunity.