The North Florida Health Corps, an initiative of the Healthy Start Coalition, recognized 20 2013-14 Corps members at a ceremony July 17.
Each member served at least 1700 hours over the course of the 46-week term of service, providing direct service in various public health-focused nonprofit and government partners in five counties in North Florida, including Duval, Baker, Clay, Nassau, and St. Johns.
Coalition Board Chair Dr. Stephen Baker gave the keynote speech, reflecting on his time as a PeaceCorps member in Africa. He emphasized to the members and audience the importance of knowing and understanding the community you are serving.
Each member, mentor and site was recognized. Mentors then had the opportunity to thank the members for their service and efforts. The 20 members served at 16 sites:
- Baptist Health
- Florida Department of Health — Baker County
- Florida Department of Health — Clay County
- Florida Department of Health — Nassau County
- Hubbard House
- I.M. Sulzbacher Center
- NEFL Healthy Start Coalition
- River Region Human Services
- The Arc Jacksonville
- UF CARES
- UF Health Jacksonville — Healthy Start
- UF Health Jacksonville — Nurse Family Partnership
- Women’s Center of Jacksonville
- YMCA Duval County
- YMCA Clay County
- YMCA Healthy Living Department