The Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR) aims to reduce infant mortality by gathering and reviewing detailed information to gain a better understanding of fetal and infant deaths in Northeast Florida. The project examines cases with the worst outcomes to identify gaps in maternal and infant services and to promote future improvements. The Coalition began the review in 1995 and has continued to carry it out with funding from the Florida Department of Health.
Each month, fetal and infant death cases are selected for review based on specific criteria, including type of death, residence and race. Utilizing an approach developed by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG), information is abstracted from birth, death, medical, hospital and autopsy records. Efforts are also made to interview the family. No information which identifies the family or medical providers is included on the abstraction form. Case summaries are developed and presented bimonthly to the Case Review Team, a multidisciplinary group of community medical and social service professionals. The CRT examines each case to determine medical, social, financial and other issues that may have impacted the poor birth outcome. Recommendations for community action are crafted by the CRT each year based on review findings.
These recommendations are shared with the Community Action Team (CAT), a group of volunteers working with at-risk families and other partner agencies in the region to implement and develop street-level outreach activities.
If you are a family/know a family experiencing grief from pregnancy loss or loss of an infant, the FIMR Grief Booklet provides resources and coping strategies.
For more information on the NEFL FIMR project, contact FIMR Director Lynnea Maystrick, ADN, MSOL at email@example.com or 904.723.5422 x107.
- FIMR PowerPoint – From Data to Action: A Review of All 2018 Infant Deaths in Northeast Florida
- Tackling Infant Mortality – The FIMR Community Action Group Approach
- FIMR PowerPoint 2017-2018
- FIMR PowerPoint 2016-2017
- FIMR PowerPoint 2015-2016
- FIMR PowerPoint 2014-2015
- FIMR PowerPoint 2011-2013
- FIMR PowerPoint 2010-2012
- FIMR PowerPoint 2005-2011
- FIMR PowerPoint 2005-2010
- FIMR PowerPoint: 2005-2009
Project Impact: the Coalition’s Fetal & Infant Mortality Review Project Community Report
- NEW! 2019-20 Community Report
- Special Edition 2019 Community Report
- 2019 FIMR Community Action Group Report
- 2017-2018 Community Report
- 2016-2017 Community Report
- 2015-2016 Community Report
- 2014-2015 Community Report
- 2013-2014 Community Report
- 2012-2013 Community Report
- 2011-2012 Community Report
- 2010-2011 Community Report
- 2009-2010 Community Report
- 2008-2009 Community Report
- 2007-2008 Community Report
- 2006-2007 Community Report
- 2005-2006 Community Report